Friday, 4 June 2010
Referendum
If Carwyn Jones is disappointed then I’m afraid he only has the previous occupants and his colleagues to blame. The former Secretary of State Peter Hain claimed to have Wales’ best interests at heart, especially when it came to the referendum but we soon found out when Cheryl Gillan took office that there had been little progress.
Since taking office, the Secretary of State has been honest and open about the timetable for delivering a referendum. We now have a clear map of the road ahead.
If we retrace the steps that bring us to the present, it is difficult to see how the First Minister can suggest that the inability to deliver an autumn referendum is any thing other than one of the many unwanted legacies of the previous Labour government.
The All Wales Convention reported back in November 2009. However, a ‘trigger vote’ did not happen until February 2010 and even then the letter to then Secretary of State formally requesting a referendum sat on the First Minister’s desk for another 10 days. I repeatedly pressed Carwyn Jones to rule out a referendum on the same day as the Assembly elections. Until the middle of May he had failed to do that.
Then just over 2 weeks ago, the First Minister issues a Ministerial Statement which suggested an October referendum as well as a draft question. Just like that, out of nowhere. Without any serious consultation.
We all know the reality of the situation is that proper, robust consultation must take place. There are obligations on both the Secretary of State and the Electoral Commission to not only deliver a question that has been fully tested meet electoral regulations and allow adequate time for a campaign on the vote. These requirements are vital to the delivery of a referendum question and a referendum date and we must not be over hasty regarding this process.
The First Minister says we must wait and see whether the Prime Minister and the Government can work constructively with the Assembly Government. Perhaps it’s time the First Minister took his own advice over this referendum process and focussed his energy on the campaign ahead. I have repeatedly urged him to push forward with the referendum process and have found him lacking the necessary commitment and passion about this vital issue. Most recently, I wrote to him on the 20th May reminding him that some time ago I urged the setting up of a ‘yes’ campaign with each of the 4 parties in the Assembly nominating representatives. I urged him once again to move swiftly to ensure that such a campaign is up and running. To date I have had no response to the letter.
Wednesday, 2 June 2010
INCREASED INFORMATION WILL ALLOW GREATER SCRUTINY
This is an important move towards ensuring that there is greater transparency in government and public services.
We must be honest and open with the public about the way their taxes are being spent, and by increasing the information available we will allow the public to more closely scrutinise the government and public service providers.
I would urge the First Minister to follow this example and commit to making more government data available in Wales.
Wednesday, 26 May 2010
PLANS TO REFURBISH WAG OFFICES DITCHED
I took the opportunity yesterday during First Minister’s questions to ask Carwyn about the Assembly Government’s plans to refurbish its offices in Cathays Park at a cost of £42 million. A massive spend at the best of times but clearly crazy in these difficult economic times.
Plans for the refit were revealed in March 2009 with a project team being set up at a cost of £100,000.
Imagine my surprise when Carwyn confirmed the plans had been ditched and there would be no refurbishment of Cathays Park.
I find it extraordinary that the Assembly Government has ditched these plans, having set up a project team to implement them, without making a statement to the Assembly.
We were told a refit was necessary because the existing accommodation was inflexible, unable to respond to changing business needs and there were health and safety issues.
Either those problems have been resolved or they are no longer considered important enough to justify the spending of £42 million of taxpayers money.
Although I welcome the decision, it is a disgrace that the Labour/Plaid coalition has attempted to quietly drop these plans without any public announcement.
It reminds us all of the arrogance of promoting such a crazy scheme in the first place but at least it is dropped now—not before time.
Tuesday, 25 May 2010
SCRAMBLING STILL A PROBLEM IN BRECON BEACONS NATIONAL PARK
This followed complaints I received from visitors whose enjoyment of the National Park was ruined by these bikers.
Unfortunately, a complaint I recently received clearly shows that scrambling remains a problem.
People come from a long way to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the Brecon Beacons and it is unacceptable that bikers should ignore the signs prohibiting this activity and wreck other people’s enjoyment.
I will be meeting John Cook, Chief Executive of the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority, on Thursday and I intend to raise this issue.
Friday, 21 May 2010
‘Yes’ campaign
"I am writing to update you on what seems to be the position in relation to the forthcoming referendum on full powers.
As you know, two years ago I suggested to you that you should be the nominee from our Group for a ‘Yes’ campaign organisation and you kindly agreed to this. I discussed the need for such a group with Rhodri Morgan, and subsequently with Carwyn Jones.
I have now written to the First Minister once again to take action on this front. There is already a campaigning ‘No’ organisation up and running and, alas, there is no balancing ‘Yes’ organisation.
As you know our Group has discussed the timing of the referendum and this has also been discussed by the Party. I have repeatedly pressed Carwyn Jones to rule out a referendum on the same day as the Assembly elections. Until yesterday he had failed to do that but I am very pleased that he now seems to have come round to this view. Kirsty Williams, in fairness, had also argued strongly that the Assembly election day should be ruled out.
Alas it seems obvious from Cheryl’s public statement and the evidence that little work has been done on this matter by Peter Hain since the request for a referendum went in from the Assembly. Our firm preference would still be of an October referendum as I think this would ensure that the issue did not get inextricably linked with the Assembly election campaign. The lack of action from the government parties in the Assembly, and from Peter Hain, seems to make this unlikely to say the least.
I am copying this letter to Catrin Edwards as Chairman of the Party in Wales, and to Cheryl Gillan.
As soon as I have a response from Carwyn Jones and the other Leaders about a campaigning group for a ‘Yes’ vote I will inform you and the Group in the Assembly and the wider party. "
Thursday, 20 May 2010
The Referendum
Some time ago I urged the setting up of a ‘Yes’ campaign group with representatives from each of the four parties here to Rhodri Morgan, and subsequently to Carwyn Jones. The response from Carwyn Jones was that he didn’t want anything to happen before the General Election. I can understand this but now that is out of the way it would be sensible to get a ‘Yes’ campaign group up and running. If it is to be a level playing field this surely needs to happen.
People like Daran Hill have put this very much on the agenda, and Daran had a meeting on this last night. It was my loss that I didn’t get to this partly because of business in Plenary over-running and partly because of a pile of work on my desk, but I understand that out there people are expecting and hoping for a lead on the campaigning front from a ‘Yes’ organisation to counter the organisation that is already up and running campaigning for a ‘No’ vote.
This cuts across political parties, it cuts across the Welsh public, and it is important that there is a proper debate on this issue before a vote is taken.
I look forward to this happening. In the meantime, I am dropping a note once again to the First Minister, the Deputy First Minister and to Kirsty Williams to urge action.
Monday, 17 May 2010
SHOCKING VANDALISM OF “COFIWCH DRYWERYN”
This rock and the slogan have iconic and historic significance for us in Wales and I was concerned that the rock had been daubed and the slogan defaced.
However, prompt action has meant that it has now been repainted and the slogan restored.
I very much welcome the restoration of this important part of our cultural history to its previous state.
I know too that the community of Llanrhystud, together with the National Trust, is raising funds to protect this iconic symbol. This should help to protect this monument in the long term and that is very good news.
Wednesday, 12 May 2010
NEW GOVERNMENT WILL SERVE THE NATIONAL INTEREST
I recognise the statesman-like response of both parties to this agreement which addresses the needs of the time, and acknowledges the verdict of the electorate.
This agreement will bring much needed stability to government and I look forward to working with the new Westminster team which I am sure will be sensitive to the needs and aspirations of Wales. Certainly, this has been David Cameron’s approach to Wales throughout his leadership.
We all want to develop a positive working relationship between Westminster and the Assembly to deliver the best possible outcomes for Wales.
Tuesday, 11 May 2010
COALITION GOVERNMENT SEVENTY YEARS ON
Today, we await the outcome of the current negotiations to see who will become Britain’s next Prime Minister.
The challenge any incoming government faces in 2010 is different from 1940, but in many ways no less daunting. How do we deal with Labour’s massive deficit to get our economy back on track.
What is clear is the nation needs a stable government that can command a majority in Parliament to take the difficult decisions necessary to achieve this.
It remains to be seen whether the national interest will take precedence over Party advantage.
Wednesday, 5 May 2010
IEUAN WYN HIGHLIGHTS RISE IN PENSIONER POVERTY
This means a quarter of Welsh pensioners living below 60 per cent of national average wage.
When I asked Carwyn Jones about this he replied that he was not responsible for the contents of a Plaid Cymru website.
Older people deserve dignity and respect in their old age, not a First Minister who, when faced with official statistics, treats them both with contempt.
Thursday, 29 April 2010
ASSEMBLY GOVERNMENT FAILS ON SPIN
According to WAG, a manufacturing defect has prevented the turbine from functioning for any great length of time since its installation and the manufacturers are currently carrying out a repair programme throughout the United Kingdom for such turbines.
How much has this cost the Welsh taxpayer?
Well, the turbine cost approximately £48,000, which includes the cost of installation, before we even begin to calculate the extra cost of providing power to the building due to its failure to operate.
People should remember this when they hear politicians claim you cannot make savings by cutting Government waste.
Thursday, 25 March 2010
Bad Day for Democracy in Wales
The decision by Labour and Plaid Cymru Assembly Members not to cross the picket line yesterday was a disgrace.
I accept that the Civil Service Compensation Scheme is in need of reform.
It is regrettable that dialogue has broken down and that industrial action is happening for a second time.
Whilst I defend the union’s right to hold this strike I am concerned that the decision to boycott business again sets a dangerous precedent.
Yesterday, I led the Opposition in a debate on the "One Wales" agreement and the Assembly Government’s total failure to deliver improvements in the Economy, the NHS, Education, Child and Fuel Poverty, to name just a few.
No-one from the Assembly Government was prepared to defend their record in the Chamber. It was an affront to democracy in Wales.
Monday, 22 March 2010
Conservatives pledge Barnett Review
“The Barnett formula is coming to the end of its life, there is no doubt about that – even Lord Barnett says it’s coming to the end of its life. I think it’s very important that there should always be a proper needs-based formula which respects the fact that Wales has some areas of deep poverty and some needs and requirements greater than other parts of the United Kingdom, there’s no doubt about that”.
This is good news. Welsh Conservatives have long called for a review of the Barnett formula and a proper needs-based assessment of funding for Wales. I welcome David Cameron’s commitment to achieving this for Wales.
Monday, 15 March 2010
Dog Tax is Dangerous
This "Dog Tax" would not affect the owners of the most dangerous dogs as the Dangerous Dogs Act already bans the ownership and sale of fighting dogs like pit bull terriers. It is possible for dogs to be exempted from the ban, but owners must have their dogs neutered, muzzled and obtain third party insurance.
Owners of dangerous dogs which are already illegal are unlikely to take out such insurance as they will just continue to defy the law.
There are an estimated 330,000 households with dogs across Wales who would be required to pay a compulsory dog tax. Although some homes already have pet insurance, the poorest homes will be hit hardest by the new levy, such as pensioners for whom a dog may be their only company. The government has admitted that this dog tax may result in more stray and abandoned dogs and greater pressure on dog rescue centres.
Think again.!!
Thursday, 11 March 2010
Good News as National Library reopens on Saturdays
Its importance to both Aberystwyth and to Wales goes way beyond the beautiful and iconic building which overlooks the town.
Like many others, I expressed my concern at the time at its having to close on Saturday mornings due to budget cuts.
However, the good news is it is reopening on Saturdays from 8 May, although collections will be limited to items ordered in advance.
The meeting rooms, café and shop will also be open to the public.
This is good news indeed. The Library provides a huge boost to the tourism economy of Mid Wales by attracting people whose sole purpose in visiting Aberystwyth is to trace their ancestry. This institution belongs to the people of Wales and must be allowed to continue the excellent work and service currently carried out.
Wednesday, 10 March 2010
Gordon Brown’s Record
As he pointed out, when Labour came to power, Britain was the 4th largest economy in the world. Now it is forecast within 5 years to be the 11th, behind not just China, but also France and Italy.
In 1997, we were ranked 7th in the world for the competitiveness of our economy. Now we are 13th.
We were 4th in the world for our tax and regulation. Now we are 84th and 86th. And we are the last G20 country to emerge from recession.
Gordon Brown once claimed to have saved the world. If so, he did it by wrecking the British economy.
Concern for Future of Radio Ceredigion
This would not only result in job losses but would be a serious blow to local broadcasting and Welsh Language broadcasting in particular in Wales.
I hope the negotiations currently taking place will secure the future of the station and I have written to the Heritage Minister and to Tindle Newspapers who own Radio Ceredigion to stress the importance of this matter.
Thursday, 4 March 2010
Death of a Great Parliamentarian
Michael Foot was a great adopted son of Wales.
I saw him last campaigning in Blaenau Gwent in the by-election caused by Peter Law’s sad and untimely death.
He was a parliamentarian of great skill, and one of the best post war orators.
A distinguished man of letters, he made a significant contribution to British public life. He was a remarkable man and in many ways, almost the last link to a more heroic age in politics.
Michael Foot was a champion of Parliamentary democracy and the House of Commons, who believed in public service and wanted to make it a better place. Above all he was an idealist, someone who was in politics for the right reasons and someone who wrote and spoke beautifully.
His death breaks a link with the political past but his contribution to national life will not be forgotten.
Wednesday, 3 March 2010
Dementia Plan for Wales desperately needed
Their visit was to highlight the threat to the future funding of the service, and to promote the petition they are currently circulating.
This coincides with a Welsh Conservative debate this afternoon on the issue of dementia care across Wales.
There is a severe shortage of care home places in Wales dedicated to dementia.
Almost half of care home residents with dementia in Wales are not receiving care in settings suitable to their needs.
There is a ‘postcode lottery’ of services in the UK, with a report last year concluding that services in Wales are the worst in the UK.
Welsh Conservatives call for the Dementia Plan for Wales to be published as soon as possible. Wales desperately needs the National Dementia Plan in order to establish where to target resources. Only then can we even begin to develop the necessary facilities, which will not be done overnight.
Ceredigion and Dwyfor Meirionnydd
I have spent some time over the last few days discussing Ceredigion and Dwyfor Meirionnydd issues with Lisa Francis. She is, of course, very well known and respected in the patch and very familiar with the area.
The Aberystwyth Holiday Village remains an issue that concerns me greatly. There are many planning issues in Ceredigion and sometimes it seems that enforcement is not the strong suit of the County Council. Currently there are many people on the site concerned about their future because of the lack of planning permission on the site for all the mobile homes that are there. The issue remains unresolved. We have written to the County Council about this issue, of course. The Minister is aware of the situation though, for understandable reasons, cannot get involved.
Health issues too are very important in the area. The importance of CHCs and continuing local input is one that Lisa and I have discussed at length. The ambulance service, again, though it has shown some signs of improvement, is a real concern in rural Wales. It is not just response times that cause concern but, of course,non emergency ambulance transport and the fact that keeping an early morning (9.00 am) hospital appointment at Ysbty Gwynedd is impossible when you need to travel from Dolgellau (two hours away by road) and the ambulance service doesn't actually start until 9.00 am! Too many of our erlderly citizens are having to rely on the good will and kindness of their family and friends because this service fails to provide them with transport theyneed at the relevant time.
Another vital issue relates to school closures. This is currently a massive issue in Gwynedd. It is also an issue in Ceredigion and, indeed, in Powys. In rural Wales the importance of small, tightly knit communities and, of course, importance of our Welsh language, is also very much at the forefront of our campaigners minds.
Lisa has recently met with the excellent Louise Hughes who is doing very good work on this issue in Gwynedd, and we spent sometime discussing this too.
Business rate problems, large wind farms, farm payments also feature.