Monday 14 December 2009

A week is a long time in politics

It was quite a week, last week.

I am delighted at Oscar joining the Welsh Conservative group in the National Assembly.
He has great business experience and detailed knowledge of the communities of South East Wales. I am also delighted that Natasha Asghar, Oscar's daughter who previously fought Blaenau Gwent and the European elections has joined us too.

Then Rhodri Morgan took the first important step in announcing an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the sad death of Robbie Powell some 19 years ago. Nothing can bring back Robbie who died of undiagnosed but treatable Addison's disease but now an inquiry can establish the truth and lessons can be learned. I am extremely pleased at this act, one of the last by Rhodri Morgan in office as First Minister and I know Will Powell and the family are pleased too.

I was also pleased at the response of the incoming First Minister, Carwyn Jones, when I raised the matter in the chamber. It is clear that he is committed to carrying this inquiry forward once the terms of reference are agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment