Wednesday 2 September 2009

Active Citizens

Today I have been reading about 'guilty greens' -- apparently that is most of us. We are doing what we can to live environmentally friendly lives but feel we should be doing more. I must say I find that rather encouraging . How bleak the future would look if either people were unconcerned about climate change or thought that we were all doing enough. How right it is too that we do not leave it all to governments. Certainly they have their part to play and we are right to lobby them to do so but that is not the totality of what needs to be done.


More journeys on foot and by bike and by train, fuel efficient car, energy efficiency, turning down the heating, no use of the standyby button -these are to be my watchword as I sign up to this campaign which was launched yesterday at the Tate Modern in London.


I hope others do similarly. Individuals and organisations can sign up. Good to see Tottenham Hotspur FC in the vanguard as well as museums and culural centres like the Sage Gateshead and Hospitals and councils too. I hope many Welsh institutions as well as individuals sign up as well.
The campaign which was launched yesterday to persuade us all to cut our emissions by 10 per cent in 2010.


You can sign up to 10:10 at http://www.1010uk.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment