Tuesday 9 November 2010

THEATR POWYS MUST RETAIN FUNDING

I recently gained an assurance from the Heritage Minister that he would raise the issue of funding of Theatr Powys with Arts Council Wales.

I asked Alun Ffred in the National Assembly Chamber

“Funding for Theatr Powys has been cut by the Arts Council.

I recognise the valuable arm’s-length principle, but the Minister sets out the terms of operation in his remit letter, and I hope that, in his discussions with the Arts Council, he will address this particular concern.

The rurality of Powys means that without this educational theatre facility for schools, many schoolchildren would have no access to theatre. It is vital, and it is valued.

Will the Minister please raise the issue, in general terms, in the remit letter and in his discussions with the Arts Council?”

In reply, The Minister said:

“I am happy to give an assurance that these matters will be discussed when I next meet the Arts Council.”

I hope that the Arts Council Wales will listen to all the representations they have received and reconsider their decision to cut funding to Theatr Powys which plays such a vital role in the arts in Mid Wales.”

No comments:

Post a Comment